Additional Chief Secretary, Health and Family Welfare Department
Our community need legislation, mainly to protect the weak and vulnerable in the society .This is to regulate Human Behavior so that people with Mental illness who are disabled can live freely and enjoy their Human Rights'
Mental Health Act 1987 (ACT.NO. 14 OF 1987) is an Act to consolidate and amend the law relating to the treatment and care of Mentally ill persons. Better provisions with respect to their property and affairs. Matters connected there with of incidental there to. It reappealed Indian Lunacy Act 1912. Mental Health Act 1987 came into force from 1ST APRIL 1993.State Mental Health Rules 1990 came to force on the same day.
Government of Karnataka has established Karnataka State Mental Health Authority as per the section (4) of the Act in their Government Order NO.HFW. 112. PTD. 91, DATED: 24TH MAY 1994. This Authority established under sub-section (1) of section (4) of the Mental Health Act 1987shall be subject to the superintendence, direction and control of the State Government.
Constitution of the Authority
- Official Members :
- The Principal Secretary to Government, Department of Health and Family Welfare.
- The Secretary to Government, Women and Child Development.
- The Secretary to Government, Medical Education Department.
- The Secretary to Government Department of Law Justice and Human Rights
- The Commissioner, Health and Family Welfare Services.
- The Commissioner of Disabilities.
- The Director of Health and Family Welfare Services.
- The Director, National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences, Bangalore.
- The Professor and Head, Department of Psychiatry, National Institute of Mental Health and Neuroscience, Bangalore.
- The Medical Superintendent, DIMHANS, Dharwad.
- The Professor and Head of the Department of Psychiatry Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute.
- Non Official Members
- Dr.(Mrs.)Shobhadevi R.Patil, Social Worker
- Dr.(Mrs.)Dharitri Ramaprasad, Clinical psychologist
- Dr. Ashok pai. K.A, Medical Psychiatrist
- Invitees : President, Indian Psychiatric Society (Karnataka Branch), Representatives of Non-Governmental Organisations and Any other person in the interest of subjects of agenda.
- Be in charge of Regulation, Development and Co-Ordination with respect to Mental Health Services under the State Government and all other matters which, under this Act, are the concern of the State Government or any officer or Authority subordinate to the State Government
- Supervise the Psychiatric Hospital and Psychiatric Nursing Homes and other Mental Health Service Agencies (including places in which mentally ill persons may be kept or detained) under the control of the State Government
- Advise the State Government on all matters relating to Mental Health.
- Discharge such other function with respect to matters relating to Mental Health as the State Government may require.